Thursday, October 6, 2011

Donkey Gets Greedy, Donkey Gets Punched.

"Donkey gets greedy, donkey gets punched" is a mantra and a reminder. It is also the title of a really good short story by Steve Almond. I was involved in a good donkey-punching yesterday when I was dealt 2-4 off suit in the big blind in a $1-$2 NLHE game. Six guys limped in and I saw the flop for free: 3c 5d 9c.

I bet $10 and the guy under the gun, who is critically short-stacked, goes all-in with his last $35. He gets one caller and it folds back to me. With $95 in the pot, I'm getting good pot odds so I put in the $25 difference. The turn brings an ace (not of clubs), giving me the straight. I bet $100 and the third player folds. The all-in guy shows pocket jacks. The river is a blank and I scoop up a $120 pot that took almost no skill on my part to win.

What happened? Mr. Fish-hooks got greedy and got punched. With JJ he sould have made a decent raise pre-flop instead of just limping and letting hands like 2 4 off into the action. He was greedy, hoping to build the pot up before taking it. If you want to buid the pot, do it by raising. It would be better to bet $10, get one caller and then have just one hand to beat post-flop than limping, getting six callers and having six hands to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment