Monday, August 22, 2011

On a Roll: Part 2

The week after my lucky win at Jay's garage, my buddy Lee invited me to a home game at Wally's - not a tourney, just a ring game with 50 cent/25 cent blinds and $20 buy in. Hellzya. My wife and sister-in-law joined in too and seven of us played a very friendly game for about four hours.


The most interesting hand came when five players limped in and saw a flop of: Ad 9c 3c. Flops like these often create a lot of action as anyone with an ace will bet heavy to protect against the flush, and any one with the flush or wheel draw might semi-bluff. This is particularly true in home games, where everyone is having fun and chasing more than normal.


Weirdly, it check around to my sister-in-law, Liz, on the button. Liz made a small bet and got two callers. After the turn, the board looked very flushy: Ad 9c 3c 2c. With three people still in the hand it checked around to Liz again and she made another smallish bet. Lee called, Ramone folded.

The river brought yet another club. Now the board looked like this: Ad 9c 3c 2c Ac. Very interesting. "Who had the highest club?" someone asked. Lee thought it might be him, so he bet half the pot only so have Liz put a big re-raise on him. Lee thought quite a while before calling with Jc 9h. Liz turned over Ah 2h for the full house. At first I was stunned that she would chase a runner-runner boat with an obvious flush draw on the board, but when I replayed the hand it made much more sense. Liz only bet when everyone else checked to her, so after the flop she thought it was probable her pair of aces was ahead. She didn't like the club on the turn, even though it gave her two pair, but once again nobody bet so she thought she was probably still ahead. The river was a dream card - filling the boat for her while filling the flush for Lee, and she made a perfect value bet.

I have to say that this hand, and the way Liz played it, illustrates the power of position very well.

When the night ended Liz had mad a tidy profit, as did my wife, and I was happy to be $42 up myself.

Add it to the bankroll.


4 comments:

  1. Now Lee will never bet against Liz just to show her that she can't beany-pants him around.

    She's knocked him out of 3 separate games like that; or, rather, he's knocked himself out (with her generous assistance).

    That was a fun night indeed, and I learned a lot. Good value for the $20 I lost...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Notice my hole cards? You would have played them too...

    ReplyDelete