Saturday, August 20, 2011

On a Roll: Part1

Rolls. Rushes. Lucky streaks. When you are on a heater you forget about those long stretches where you could not catch a break. Just like when you are are on a losing streak and wonder if you will ever win again, when you you are on a winning streak it is easy to let yourself get carried away. I've been on a winning streak and I don't have to tell you how good it feels. I'm trying not to let it go to my head.

I had not played poker for nearly a month when my friend Bradley called to say some buddies of his had a game going and asked if I wanted to join in. Well, yeah! I love home games. Even if you lose you usually have a good time. There were nine guys at his friends' garage - we didn't have a table big enough to seat us all so a small square table was pushed beside a big round table. Playing in a garage at mismatched tables is, in my opinion, what poker is all about. Although I have said you should not drink and play poker, I make exceptions for games like this - just make sure you do not drink more than anyone else.

We played a knockout tourney. $10 to enter and $5 bounties. Every one started with 40 chips and the blinds were raised each time someone got knocked. Most of the guys seemed quite solid, but there were a couple maniacs. I sat back and waited for good cards, but the good cards never came. One by one players got knocked out and the blinds increased but I couldn't find a hand to play and I was afraid to bluff because, well, some of these guys did not fold much. We were down to four players when I had to play - after putting 12 chips into the big blind I only had 6 chips left. I thought I might get a pass when the first two folded, but Nick in the small blind raised. I had not even looked at my cards but I called. I had J 10 - a big favourite over Nick's J 4, and I took the pot down. On the very next hand I was dealt J 10 again (surely a sign from God!) and again Nick raised me. I made a big mistake and went all in. I guess I was still on a high from my double up. It was a dumb move. The others folded and Nick called - this time he had me over a barrel with A J. I found a miracle 10 on the river, and suddenly found I had a decent stack of chips. Thirty minutes later I won the tournament.

Looking back I realize I was very lucky to have survived that one boneheaded play.

My first place plus two bounties netted me $80 and I decided to try and build this $80 up by playing good smart poker. This was my new bankroll. I had taken a break from poker, but now I was back.

No comments:

Post a Comment