Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tales of Cowboy Poker Madness: Part 5

Things started well, but it only takes one stupid moment to blow everything.

I started with $100 in chips and won a $40 pot simply by betting after it was checked to me post-flop.

Then I got real lucky. I had the red kings under the gun and limped in, expecting a raise from someone down the line. Instead it looked like it was going to be a family pot with everyone throwing in two blue $1 chips into the middle. Then the big blind raised it to $40. I glanced at his stack - with only another $100 or so behind him I was pretty sure he was going to call whatever I choose to bet here. I wanted to make a bet big enough that no one else would call - I didn't want a mutiway pot that increased my chances of losing - so I made it $100 total. It folded back to the big blind who went all in and I snap called. The flop came Qd 5d 8h. The turn brought Ad, and my heart sank a bit, but the river was 9d, giving me the nut flush. I showed my cards and my opponent flashed the 10c.

Ten of clubs? What was he thinking? The other card had to be another 10, I guess. Still, it seemed pretty loose of him to push all in with pocket tens.

How could he be so dumb?


I now had almost $300, but I went card dead for an hour or so. I started losing my patience, playing hands I shouldn't have played and chasing. I was soon under $200 and found myself in middle position with KQo - not a great hand but certainly playable. I raised to $5.  There was one caller and then the big blind raised to $25. At least I thought the dealer said "twenty-five". I was getting very tired and could not concentrate. I knew I should just fold, but decided to gamble and threw another $20 into the middle. That is when the dealer informed me that the bet wasn't $25 but $45 - I had misheard and was not paying close enough attention. Damn. My $25 was committed, so if I folded it would be lost. I quickly decided the best course of action would be to put the $20 balance in.

What am I doing in this hand?


The flop was Kd 4h 6h. My opponent checked. With top pair, queen kicker I thought it was likely I was ahead here, and with two hearts on board I thought it unlikely that my opponent was slow playing as he should be defending against the flush draw. I didn't want to give him a free card, so I bet $100 - most of my remaining stack. He instantly went all in for about another $25. Shit. Damn. I called and he showed pocket aces. Of course. How obvious. The turn and river brought no miracle saves for me. I was down to $27.

How could I be so dumb?


It is very rare to see a player who has been crippled like I have been leave the table with his pathetic little stack. Pride makes him stick around until he gets a hand to shove with. Usually the short stack will bust out, but can sometimes make a comeback with a little luck.

But I have no pride. I don't care what people think of me. I'd rather save that $27. I think if I cash out all these little small amounts then, over the course of years, I will save myself a large amount. So I left. Which is probably the smartest thing I could have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment