Thursday, January 10, 2013

What did you learn?

A quick hand to illustrate the difference between good and bad decision making.

Tom, Dick and Harry are three guys I see in the poker room almost every time I go there. Yesterday I was sitting with Tom two seats on my right, Dick on my immediate left (Dick always wants to sit on my left. I wonder why that is?) and Harry sitting to Dick's left.

I was on the button when the action folded to Tom, who made it $15 to go. I fold. Dick raised it to $40. Harry called and Tom thought for quite a while before calling as well. The flop was A 9 4, rainbow.

Dick checks.

Harry goes all in with about $150.

Tom thinks about his decision, then says. "I should have gone all in preflop. If I had, then one of you would have called me and so then I'd be in exactly the same situation I'm in right now. So, I might as well call," and so, following this bizarre logic, he calls.

Dick picks up his cards, leans over to me and shows me he has KK. Then he throws his cowboys into the muck.

With no more betting possible, Harry and Tom show their hole cards. Harry has A J. Tom has Q Q. The turn and river are blanks and Harry scoops up a big pot.

"I knew I should have gone all-in preflop," mutters Tom angrily. "I let you see that flop too cheap."

Dick just chuckles and shakes his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment