Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Jesus Challenge

I haven't put any money into online poker for quite a while, but I do play occasional freerolls hoping to cash-in at long odds. Last Saturday I entered a freeroll with about 1,100 other players, with only the top 27 places getting paid. It took about five hours and all the skill, patience and luck I could muster, but when the smoke cleared I finished in 19th place and won myself $2.

This may not seem like a big deal, but cashing in one of these things is damn hard. A few years back Chris "Jesus" Ferguson announced that he was going to try to win $10, 000 playing poker online without depositing a penny - he would start by cashing in a freeroll. It took him about a year and a half but he did it*, and the hardest part was cashing in the freeroll to get started.

The Jesus Challenge is the goal I want to set for myself - except without the year and a half time line. I don't have that much time to play everyday. But if I can build this up to $10, 000 within, say, ten years I'll be pretty happy.

And what's more, if I achieve my goal  I'll do what Chris did and donate it all to charity.

I'm at almost $7 now. I'll keep you posted.

* - Given the fact that Chris seems to be somewhat deeply involved in the FullTilt legal problems, it is not unrealistic to doubt if he is telling the truth about this. Still whether or not he did it, I'm going to try.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you. I came 2nd in a freeroll last week and won $12. Built it up to a whopping $17, then whittled it down to nothing within a couple of days (lemme tell you my bad beat story...). I like playing poker, but I lack the judgement to be a winning player. I hope you find the discipline to achieve your goal!

    ReplyDelete