Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chatting With a Pro

All the regular poker players were treating the guy sitting next to me with a good deal of respect. They all knew his name - Scott - and they were acting like he was some kind of big shot.

"Where are you going next on the tour, Scott?" asked a regular I'd played with many times.

"There is a tournament in Regina."

During a lull, when neither of us were in the hand, I asked him if he was a professional poker player.  He shrugged.

"If you could call it that..."

"I'll take that as a 'yes'."

Scott laughed. "Well, I don't do anything else, so you could say that."

I didn't want to  bother the man, but I was curious. How does one make a living playing cards? Particularly when one lives in a place like Calgary? How does he handle the variance? Does he play set hours? I had far too many questions to pester the man with.

The one thing I really wanted to know was if he ever wished - like Mike the Vegas pro - that he had a regular job with a regular pay cheque. So I asked him that.

"Well, my wife has a good job so that stability is there."

Okay. Fair enough. So "no".

A little while later I asked him if he usually played at the $1/$2 stakes.

"Well, no. I usually play $2/$5. Sometimes $5/$10. And Tournaments. But you can certainly make money at $1/$2. Look at this table - you can make more at a $1/$2 table like this than you could at an average $2/$5 table." Scott was up about $300 at this point - after playing for about three hours. Making $100/hour is definitely pulling down a good living but of course it doesn't always go that well.

I wish I had the nerve to ask him more questions, but to tell the truth I was more concerned with concentrating on the game. I will say that I didn't see him enter a lot of pots - he played tight, waiting for decent cards. And he played a lot of his hands "in position" - something I still need to understand how to do effectively.




No comments:

Post a Comment