Friday, September 7, 2012

Durn it all

I got busted out today, which always sucks, but sometimes that's just the way it goes. What makes it particularly bitter is that I had doubled up and then some before busting out on a somewhat questionable move.

Had AKs (spades) and got heads up against a ultra-aggressive player. We had $80 in the pot pre-flop, and the flop came Qs 9d 4s. I bet $100, figuring I could buy it with the tight image I had. But the baddie moved all in on me. With only another $60 to call and a whole lotta outs (nine spades, plus the over cards) I pretty much had to call, but I didn't hit a spade or an ace or a king...My opponent had Q 10, which felted me.

That's poker.

------JJJ99------

Two days later - I added the following:

Just before he busted me, the guy in the above hand made a comment to the effect that he was gunning for me because I had taken a big pot off him.

"What are you talking about? I've not even been in the same hand with you." I was really puzzled.

"No, not today," he replied, "this was a little while ago."

Huh? The guy looked vaguely familiar and I guess I may have played him before. But a big pot? I don't remember it.

It was just a few hands later that he busted me. I remember clearly that when I made my $100 bet he said "You have it again? You can't have it every time!" then he pushed all-in.

This "act weak when you are strong" bit is fairly typical of the sharkier guys. When a guy says something that sound like he is weak (aw shucks, do you really have a good hand?) then acts strong (I really shouldn't be doing this but....all-in) you should believe the action more than the words.

Two days after this hand, as I am lying in bed, it suddenly comes to me! This was indeed a guy I took a big pot off of - in fact I wrote about it in Winning is Wonderful (finis). He was the guy who flopped a nut flush on me and got me to raise him all in with my set of tens. Then, I sucked out a runner-runner full house on him.

On that occasion, just as I was about to make the raise that would put him all-in, he said something like "Aw, come on man! Be nice!" - the same kind of "I'm weak" talk he used on me two weeks later.

How could I have forgotten?

Ok. Next time we meet my friend, I won't fall for your trap again.


No comments:

Post a Comment