Saturday, September 1, 2012

Poker and Existentialism

I recently reread Waiting for Godot. To me the main message is how most of us, maybe all of us, live each day doing pretty much the same things and thinking the same thoughts as all the rest of our days. We remember so little and so learn very little from our experiences. We do not progress, we repeat. Habit is the great deadener.

I believe that the poker rooms of the world are filled with Vladimirs, Estragons, Pozzos and Luckys. They repeat and repeat and repeat. They play the same style, makes the same great plays and the same dumb plays. Make the same jokes. They win and they lose, but they don't change and they don't learn.

I started writing this blog in an attempt to remember, and by remembering hopefully learning something.

After all, I am just a Vladimir too.

No comments:

Post a Comment