Tuesday, July 9, 2013

How to Lose 45% of Your Bankroll in 2 Minutes - The Jesus Challenge, Day 18

Two weeks into my little personal challenge, things were going just swell. I had built my $2 up to over $36. I thought, Hey why not try a higher level? I'll play it super tight and if things don't go well I'll come back down to these 2 cent tables. I think you know where this is going. I took $5 to a table and waited for a good hand....and waited...and waited....finally I got dealt pocket sixes - the kind of hand I like to play. (If you want to know why I like these hands, read Small and Medium Pocket Pairs).  Someone raised ahead of me so I called and the flop could not have been better: Kd 6c Jd. I bet the pot and the other gut re-raised. I re-re-raised. He's all-in. I call. He turns over pocket aces. Ha! The fool! With only two outs he's up the creek! The turn is another king. And the river is an ace.

Well that sucks.

So. I go down to the level I belong at, right? Um, no. I go up another level, bringing $10 with me. I am determined to win that $5 back!

The very first hand I'm dealt QQ and some idiot makes a monster raise in front of me. Perfect! I re-raise. He goes all-in. I call. He shows....AA. Oh, damn. No miracle saves my from my foolishness, and my bankroll goes from $36 to $21 in two hands.

So. I go down to the bottom level again, and that's where I've been for the last four days, grinding it out. I'm happy to say I've got my bankroll back to $37. It's taken me about seven hours of poker over those four days - and I've had to play about 1,600 hands of poker to win back what I lost in only 2.

The question is - will I ever learn?

1 comment:

  1. The hardest thing in the world is to change deeply ingrained habits. Best wishes to you in that endeavour.

    ReplyDelete