Thursday, September 9, 2010

The continuation bet: Part 1

Because I don't like to limp, I will sometimes raise with borderline cards in middle or late position. Often I can steal the blinds this way. I don't do it too often because my opponents will catch on, and I usually only do it if the players acting after me are tight. Often, as I say, I can pick-up the blinds, but just as often I will find I get a caller, so I will see the flop against one opponent.


The flop is dealt and I miss it completely. But this is not a tragedy, because my opponent probably missed it completely too. That's just the way it goes in poker - if you are playing against one guy, then he probably doesn't catch anything on the flop (but if you are playing against two or more, then chances are that one of them caught a piece of the flop). So what do I do? I bet about 3/4 the pot. This bet is commonly referred to as a "continuation bet". Before the flop I showed strength by raising, so now I continue to show strength by making a healthy bet.

I do not have statistics, but I would say that my opponents fold 70% the time when I make a continuation bet like this. Those times when my opponent calls, well then I must proceed with caution. Too many situational differences exist for me to make a general statement of what to do here. When an opponent re-raises you, you are sure to be behind and should fold.


Don't continuation bet indiscriminately. It works best against the tight opponent; one who does not play a lot of hands and who will not continue a hand unless they have a good chance of winning. There certainly situations when making a continuation bet without a good hand is a bad idea. In the next few post I will examine when, and when not, to continuation bet when you don't have a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment