Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Luck revisited

I know I wrote a post called The Final Word on Luck and so you might expect I had said all I wanted to say on the topic. But I'm not sure I want to leave it there. I said I don't believe in luck, but that's not entirely true. Of course I believe in the existence of luck, I just think you should put your faith in your skill instead.

I have just finished the fantastic poker memoir For Richer, For Poorer by Victoria Coren. A passage in the book perfectly describes the proper relationship one should have with luck:

At the card table and off it, luck is a bucking mechanical bull, but you can learn to keep you bum in the seat. As soon as you start putting your faith in the bull, rather than the bum, you are sunk.

Exactly. I love that she points out that this this true away from the card table as well. Everyone please go purchase a copy of Victoria Corens' book. It is great.

What does it mean to put your faith in the bull? If you are play Q7 offsuit because you have a feeling you are going to hit a full house on the flop, then you are putting your faith in the bull.

Try to understand the motives for your actions - if you have a good reason, not just a hunch, for making a particular move, then you are putting your faith in the bum. Being able to discern the difference between the bull and the bum means being honest with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment