Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Slow Rolls

Many player say that "slow rolling" is pretty much the worst thing you can do etiquette-wise at the poker table. A "slow roll" occurs when two players have a showdown, all the cards have been dealt, all the betting is done and it is time for the players to reveal their hole cards. If one player has a particularly strong hand (even an unbeatable hand) yet still waits for his opponent to show their cards first before revealing the stronger hand, he is said to be "slow rolling" - the height of bad poker manners. Why is it so bad? I guess it is rude to make your opponent wait to see that they are beat. I personally don't understand why people get so upset by it. I mean if a guy has a winning hand and wants to lord it over me, then whatever. I really don't care.

The point I try to remember is that for many other players, this is a serious issue, so I do my best to never slow roll. If I have a great hand, particularly the nuts, I try to reveal it the moment the hand is over. It is always nice to see what cards your opponent played - it gives you insight into how they play the game and that information could come in handy later - but I think it is even more important that you don't ruffle any feathers. Remember, the other poker players are your "customers" so treat them well. Don't insult them.

No comments:

Post a Comment