Friday, June 19, 2015

My 2-7 triple draw low ball (no-limit) education.

The plan was to play in the World Series of Poker, but there were only two events starting that day I could enter. One was a $3000 buy-in hold-em tournament that should draw about thousand entries, and the other was a $1500 buy in which the game would rotate between ten different kinds of poker:


  • No-Limit Hold 'Em
  • Razz
  • Limit Hold 'Em
  • Badugi
  • 7 Card Stud
  • 2-7 Single Draw Lowball (no-limit0
  • Omaha Hi-Low
  • Omaha Pot Limit
  • 2-7 Triple Draw Lowball (limit)
  • 7 Card Stud Split Hi-Low 8 or Better.
It would be crazy for me to enter this tournament. I have never even played three of these games. Of the remaining seven, I have only played three in real-life (as opposed to on-line) for money - the two forms of hold em and the pot limit omaha. I have played about twenty hands of Badugi in my life. 
So what do I do? Yup. I decide to sign up for the ten game mix. This like deciding to learn to drive by competing in the Indy 500. So utterly stupid that it makes sense on some level. If nothing else, my play will be hard to figure out.

We walk around the strip, catch a shuttle to the Rio, and I sign up. We have couple hours to kill. Eric has played most of these games, so over lunch he teaches me the basics of the games I've never played. We wander some more. play some video poker, and we both win. I'm up $632 so far, not including my WSOP buy-in.

Time for the tournament to start! Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment