Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Lessons I Learned at the WSOP

My WSOP experience, part 3.

Being moved to a new table mid-tournament sucks. You have no reads on any one, so when some guy makes a move you have no clue if he's a rock or a maniac. I lost some more chips at Razz when my good starting hand failed to improve. Then, after only twenty minutes, they broke up the table and I had to go somewhere else again. With under 2,000 in chips left I needed to double up fast, and I took my shot on Razz again. This time I was up against two guys, which is great because I could triple up. But it was not to be - my draws left me 10-high. I was out just after the start of level five. Ironically it was Razz - the easiest form of poker to learn - that would be my undoing, rather than one of those games I had just learned earlier that day.

I learned a lot from my WSOP experience. Probably the biggest lesson I took away is that you should take on those things you always wanted to do, but were afraid of. You will mostly find your fears were overblown.

As I write this it is three days later. I'm still in Vegas and more crazy shit has happened than I can write about. I've been on a great winning streak, but gave almost half of it back in one late-night session at the Wynn. I'll try to go through my notes later and write about it later. For now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy my remaining time in this crazy place.

I'll fill you all in when I get home.

I'd like to thank my wife Sara, my friend Eric and Paul J. for making this nutty thing happen. I owe you all a beer.

And to all my friends: Let's all come down here next year. We'll take over this freakin' town!

No comments:

Post a Comment