Friday, August 20, 2010

The final word on luck.

In my last post I cautioned against thinking too much about good luck and bad luck. One thing I forgot to mention was that when you allow yourself to believe that luck is more important than skill, you then you give yourself an excuse not to put in all the hard work that is required to become a winning poker player. After all, why should I bother to calculate double-reverse pot odds when it's all just luck anyway? Why should I look for tells in my opponents when it's all just luck?

Such thinking is not only lazy, it's dangerous. I think many of those who have fallen victim to gambling addiction have this mind-set. After all, honing a skill, in even such a volatile endeavor as poker, is an act of imposing your will. By giving yourself over to luck you are relinquishing control, and the unknown becomes intoxicating.

This is why I hate luck. Luck seduces the vulnerable with small runs of winning and then lets them throw away their retirement and sometimes their lives.

To hell with luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment